Hun er på min alder venn.
she is my friend

EmmaRae and Mrs. Grissom invited Marianne to be a special guest speaker for social studies. Marianne put together a slide show of images she brought with her and shared them with the class. For 1 1/2 hours, Marianne entertained questions about politics and gameboys, liters of gas and Santa Clause. We covered the Norweigian alphabet and how they have all the same letters we do, plus 3 extra ones found at the end of theirs. She was flawless.

EmmaRae was very proud of Marianne, and so was I.

Somewhere between the discussion of snowfall amounts and long summer days in Norway, I drifed back in time. I remembered the young beautiful girl visiting North Carolina in the fall of 1985. I was captivated by her charm and charisma, her knowledge of world politics and social awareness far beyond my grasp. I am sure, she had much of the same impact on several children in the class today....one girl in particular I thought would jump in her purse and go with her today to Norway. I could have too. I loved to hear her speak back then, and even more so today.I love the smooth "ummmmm" sound she makes as she searches for a word in her Norwegian/English translation mode. Always thoughtful and sincere. Her word choices are fresh. Same words I use everday, just in a fresh way. I like that. I have gone off on a tangent imagine that.
We said our good-byes this afternoon. I am not as sad as I was when she left for home 22 years ago....that was unbearable for me. I feel good. We have made a connection after many fast years of life have passed us by. I am thankful to have her back in my life. She is my friend.
Hun er på min alder venn.

***eta click on photography by Judith Fender link on left side for more images.***

Comments

  1. mama, i think this is a HORRIBLE pic of me (the second one when i am standing next to Marianne) and i would just like u to know that!!
    love,
    EmmaRae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:46 PM

    Thank you Judith, those were beautiful words. It was so good to get back together. I cant see the pictures from the school visit, is there a problem? Back in Oslo, spring has made its way to Santa Claus land, beautiful spring flowers in the garden. I am jetlagged and awake with everyone else sleeping.
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts