Cruel Shoes
the flower has nothing to do with the post.

Posted by Picasa
If you are a child of the eighties, this might strike a cord....or if you were/are a Steve Martin fan, you will get it right away. Steve is cool. Always has been and always will be. Love him. I don't remember when this love affair started, it has always been. For me to say, I bought a book when I was 9, and it didn't have a horse on the cover, is a big deal! Well, I bought a book when I was 9, and Steve Martin was on the cover, this was monumental. "Cruel Shoes" was the title. I can remember 2 things about the book, the cover and the the understanding of the definition of "Cruel Shoes". I think in the story, Steve was a shoe salesman. He spoke comically about the insanity women put themselves through to shove their feet into shoes. perhaps this book struck a cord with me at the tender age of 9 because I had large feet, and was sensitive to the fact, FACT, that women with big feet and cute shoes are NEVER used in the same sentence! So, the story goes on, in hillarious detail, about how shoes could be filled with razors, and women would sacrifice their feet and endure great pain to own a pair of cute shoes. So true.
Fast forward 31 years to last night, at the mall, with my daughter to get a pedicure.
EmmaRae has a CUTE pair of green shoes on. She is hobbling beside me. Not complaining or crying. Just hobbling along....
Me: "How are your feet?" I ask, not missing a step.
E: "Not too bad, " she says matter of fact. "I only have a few blisters."
Me: "ahhh, Cruel Shoes." I sighed. " Welcome, my dear, to womanhood."
we exchange glances and smile at one another. it was a wonderful bonding moment.

Comments

Popular Posts